"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Sunday, July 18, 2010

National Ice Cream Day

Today is National Ice Cream Day so be sure to enjoy some of your favorite flavors before the day is over. In a national poll, the top four flavors are: Vanilla, Chocolate, Butter Pecan and Strawberry. Who knew? There are a plethora of polls as we all know. Here is my own personal favorite: ummmmm...well, here are a few of my favorites. Pistachio Almond is up there along with black walnut. Cappuchino chunk chocolate is really good and so is Peppermint, especially in the winter for some reason. My favorite of all time, at least at Baskin Robbins, is English Toffee (which they no long make). Yesterday my sis and I traveled north to my home town, Alva, where we drove around 'remembering when'. We saw the Castle on the Hill, new and old, Grandma's house and gardens, the old basement place, the little green house on the hill (only there in our minds). On our way out of town we stopped and had....for old time's sake.... a dipped cone at Dairy Queen. No fancy flavors, no waffle cone just soft vanilla ice cream dipped into melted chocolate. Once the chocolate sets, you bite your way inside to the cold, creamy goodness. The challenge in eating a dipped cone is to be able to eat all of it without getting any on your shirt or the ground. It can be done, but the technique requires lots of practice to perfect. Better get started!

1 comment:

Audra said...

I tried to celebrate this important day, but Dairy Queen was closed because it was Sunday. I guess they didn't know it was national ice cream day! Don't worry we will try to celebrate it again today.