"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Friday, July 16, 2010

Quiet Morning Surprise

Driving south through morning sunlight,
alone on a red shale road,
a plume of dust behind me,
the earth just waking to the song
of the red-winged blackbird.
Two bunnies and a small rat
scurry across in front of me,
four sparrows lift skyward
out of tall grass that
lines the sides of the road.
A pair of doves sit together
watching the coming of the sun.
I think I see a big jack rabbit
lopping down the center of the road,
straight for me,
half hidden in the tattered
mists of gnats that hover.
I slow to wait for him.
It turns out to be a very small
spotted fawn on spindly legs,
lost and frightened,
running wildly in search of safety.
I stop and he jumps sideways
into the grassy ditch.
I do not see his mother.
I hope she found him
after I passed by
and the dust settled.

No comments: