Saturday, July 31, 2010

Recipe: Pear Pie

This recipe came from Audra's Godmother (whom Audra doesn't know: job changes, moving away, Louisiana being so terribly far from Oklahoma, laziness on my part.) Here I am pretending to be the pioneer woman..after all, we live pretty close to each other, if the truth be told. I am sure you all have your own perfect recipe for pie crust, so go ahead and make that and have it chilling while you do the following. Peel, core and thinly slice 6 ripe pears. Set these to simmer, with a cup and a half of water for 10 minutes, or until you get the other things done. (If the pears are really ripe I usually simply bring it to a boil and turn off the heat.) Mix together: 3/4 c. white sugar, 2 T. cornstarch, 1/4 t. nutmeg, 1/4 t. cinnamon, 1/4 t. allspice Mix, in another small bowl: 2 T. honey, 1 T. lemon juice, and 1/2 cup of the hot pear liquid Stir the liquids into the sugar mixture, drain the pears, and add mixture to the pears in a bowl. Roll out the crust for the bottom of the pie, place in pan and roll out the top and mark it with a ...whatever you want; I used a Pr but a smiley face is always appropriate. Pour pear mix into pie crust, dot with butter and add the top crust. Crimp edges and dust with sugar and cinnamon mixture. My Dad tells the story that his father, who owned and operated a restaurant in the thirties and forties, could crimp and spin two pies simultaneously, one with each hand, in opposite directions; did it every day in fact. I do a two handed crimp on my pies and am not nearly as cool or quick. (Neither can I clear a pool table in one turn, but that is another story.) Bake at 4:25 for thirty minutes or until it looks done. Why, you may ask, did I not post a recipe for peach pie, since I have spent the last three afternoons sitting, peeling peaches? Because I have had all the peaches I can stand right now and honed for something delicate, delicious and different for our Saturday pie. There you have it, Pear Pie a la Jayme Kana.

No comments: