"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Monday, August 16, 2010

Three Star Books for you

As long as we are on the subject of stars, I would like to share with you three of my favorite books on the subject. Two of them are by H. A. Rey, the author of the Curious George books. Who knew he was also an astronomy enthusiast? 1. Find the Constellations (second edition), by H.A. Rey. I used this book when we studied the constellations as we were learning star/space songs in my Third grade music classes. I like it because it shows, on facing pages, the same section of the sky with and without the constellations drawn in so it is extremely easy to compare and test yourself. I usually had my students copy the constellation's main stars on a piece of paper while looking at a picture of the same. Once they had drawn the stars themselves they seemed to more easily see them overhead. The book is also full of basic information about the constellations and how they got their names. 2. The Stars, a new way to see them, also by H.A. Rey. This book is a little more thorough than the first one, which was more of a picture guide to finding the main constellation groupings, yet it is written in such clear prose that it is very easy to grasp and extremely informative for those of curious minds. You can tell that Mr. Rey understands the way the minds of children work and has perfected his talent for speaking their language. 3. The Kid's Book of The Night Sky, by Ann Love and Jane Drake. This book is full of info about the night sky as well as (and this is the part I particularly love) lots of activities that kids and parents or just kids by themselves can do to related to the stars at night to help them become more familiar with and cultivate a deeper understanding of our universe. Remember that you can get to Amazon directly from my page by clicking on the Amazon search box on the right side of the page. Also, when you do, I get a little bit of money in my account. Whoopie Alleluia, as Fr. Denis used to say.

No comments: