Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Poem: This moment

He whose soul was woven into 
the fabric of my soul
has stepped out of this life
and into the next
without fanfare or fight;
one final breath released
and he was gone.

Now I stand alone but
supported on all sides,
wrapped in sympathy,
held upright by the prayers
and sadness of those who
loved us both.

I am numb 
and then I am weeping;
I am fine and then
I am awash in an immense sadness;
and yet the wind continues to
move the leaves above me
and the stars shine as before.

I lie flat upon the good earth
and draw in strength and courage;
I do not try to remember,
I can not bear the weight
of memories yet;
I breathe in this moment,
 only this;
I weep in this moment,
 only this.





4 comments:

abbeyviolet said...

Tears again. Missing you. Lovely lovely poem. Sending hugs.

Scott said...

Holding you and your children close to my heart and lifting you up to God ...

b said...

I love you, Debra. It's a beautiful poem. You continue to be in my prayers.

geriayers said...

So beautiful..............