"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Friday, October 15, 2010

Happy Birthday to me!

Today is my birthday and the two year anniversary of my blog. 578 posts later I find that I am so, so happy to have begun this blogging project and thank-you Abbey for getting me started on it. Blogging is a great way to keep in contact with the friends and family and a simple way of documenting the 'every days' of your life as well as the big whoopiedoo events.  I looked back to my first October with my blog and found this little tidbit regarding Halloween, which I am reposting because many of you weren't reading along at that time. I'll probably write more later but I hear a sweet little boy waking up right now. See ya!
"I consider the entire month of October as my own special time. I do myself favors, buy myself little presents and call people to chat, often....because I love to hear their voices. Alas, next week we wrap it up with my least favorite holiday of the year, Halloween. Halloween used to be tremendous fun, everyone dressing up in mismatched clothes and tramping all over town, gathering in the good stuff; lots of laughs and nothing to fear. Now it is mostly about bloody everything, disfigured faces, people being scared out of their wits and little kids having to have their candy checked or run through an x-ray machine before they unwrap it; razor blades. When did blood and gore become so much fun???? Blood and gore means someone is suffering and that is NOT FUN. Why do we tell little children, who should still be innocent, that a guy with blood running down his face and a hacked up face is okay? It is not okay, and young children know it. I have an idea: let's dress up in something silly, or cute and have a party together and try not to go into sugar shock. Okay,okay....I am stepping off my soap box now, but I am not giving Halloween to the ghouls, just like I am not giving the rainbow to the gay community, or the color purple, or any number AT ALL to the devil worshippers. No. Smiling pumpkins are fine, along with doughnuts and hot chocolate and the harvest moon but not death and fear."

1 comment:

b said...

Happy Birthday and God bless you greatly. Enjoy hugging on that baby! Love ya.