"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Friday, October 1, 2010

Poem: Where are you now?

Where are you now?
Yes, I do believe
that live goes on and
that love never ends;
but where are you 
at this precise moment,
 as the light fades from the sky?

The sunset I have always loved
 now brings me to tears,
so I find things to do
that keep me busy
as the sky turns colors;
I find things to do.

I no longer have that load
of laundry that was
overalls smeared with
grease and dirt.
I no longer have,
in my pantry,
cream of celery soup
(I never liked it).

I can stay up late
and write,
or watch a movie,
or sit out in the starlight
as long as I want;
all the choices are mine alone
now that you are not
here, waiting for me.
Now I can get up early
and go for those walks
I always missed,
because I was sharing
breakfast with you.
I would so love to
share breakfast with you;
or popcorn and a movie,
or a walk down the dirt road,
beneath the stars,
or  the touch of your
leg against mine,
just before sleep.






4 comments:

Abbey said...

Oh dear, crying all over again, again. Hugs and love.

Audra said...

Love you Mom!

Pat at Turtle Rock Farm said...

Dadgumit.
Weeping with you.
Thanks for letting your pain show in such a beautiful way. You describe the paradox so well.
Love you,
Pat

geriayers said...

This is quite beautiful. It says so much in so few words. My heart aches for you as I think of you often.