"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Starry Night, A Spinning Sun and a Rose of the Morning

Have I told you lately how proud I am of my three children? They amaze me with their generosity, their kindness to others and with their talents, knowledge and skills. They are people of honor and compassion who speak out for justice and truth and who are secure in their own self image. They are strong and brave and smart and they love each other fiercely. I love that.
      Danny and I must have done something right, along with all the things we did wrong, when they were younger and ripe for learning about how to live in this wild world. (The talks at the Sonic helped I am sure. You can ask them about those sometime if you want to know.)  As a teacher I learned that a child becomes strong and willing to try new things with confidence if they are taught with love, patience and respect.  We tried to respect our children as individuals and value their differences, listening to what they had to say. We didn't always do a good job of it but we tried our best at the time.

     Danny was so proud of them all that he often wept at their success in the world and their courage in living their lives.  He said many times that they were his greatest contribution to making the world a better place. That was quite a compliment to them, coming from someone who daily touched the lives of many, many people with his kindness and compassion.  If you do not know these three amazing people, I hope you have the opportunity to meet them.  They will touch you with their light.  They will help you to be happy and to find your way.  The scriptures are so right: children are a blessing from the Lord.

No comments: