Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Discovery



      I went to the gardens early this morning to take a look at what exactly had survived, or could possibly be saved without giving myself a heart attack.  The picture was not as bleak a one as I had previously painted.
I remembered that I had already harvested  potatoes, onions, garlic (wow), lettuces, cabbage and shallots.  That is a lot in itself, come to think of it.
      No, I did not have any carrots at all this year but I still have some canned from last year and the year before that so what was I whining about? Stop it. I only managed to coax about a dozen beets out of their seeds but I also have pints and pints of pickled beets grinning at me from the pantry shelves. The cucumbers are still giving me one every so often, which is really all that I would use anyway. I have an egg plant that refuses to die even though I often forget to give it a drink. (It had two new blossoms this morning.) I still have frozen corn in the freezer from last year as well as one package of frozen peaches which I refuse to use because then I wouldn't have any. There's some logic for you.
      The green beans, though not producing, are still green and not completely eaten to a nub by the grasshoppers. (How did that happen?) They will come back and give me some beans in the Fall probably. My row of experimental pop-corn  is looking good....in a scallop-leafed, gnawed-on sort of way. There are lots of baby ears already formed on the stalks. The sweet potatoes look great and the chard, though too bitter to enjoy in this summer heat, is still alive and will continue to give me greens through the winter, if I provide it with a little protection from the most severe cold.
     So. I discovered that it wasn't the vegetable garden itself that had failed me or was killing me with work, it was the the ragged overgrown edges of everything and the look of all the foiliage that has already died and needs to be taken away. I will work on those things after the sun goes down.  
    Hmmm....not the living heart of things but the edges that are disturbing; too much of what has already died that needs to be moved aside so I can see what is living.....well, well, well....  
     I  have said for years that working in the garden is like going to a therapist only cheaper. There you have it.
    
    

No comments: