"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Semantics



I am re'inventing'...'configuring'...'vamping' the main gardens in my mind.  They are too much work for me in the heat of the summer, which is the biggest part of the gardening season around here and it appears that drought is becoming the norm. I find myself fighting the Bermuda and the Johnson grasses day after day after scorching day; mulching around everything over and over again, pouring on the water and waiting. Nothing.
     I have one entire raised bed planted to strawberries and have probably harvested fifteen strawberries all season; not good enough. The strawberries are going.  I can handle the two raised beds well enough and the larger Wind Garden will become something else next year.  It needs a rest anyway and so do I. 
         Truth be told, the Wind Garden has changed shape and purpose almost every year...odd, now that I think about it.  It has trees growing on three sides now, trees that were planted by the wind or by the Creator and that I have left to grow. I believe this circular space may, in time, become a quiet, shady place of rest and contemplation, with a little work. 
     I want you to know this is not a retreat, it is a strategic withdrawal in order to secure more advantageous positioning. Semantics.

No comments: