"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

A Quiet Snowy Day

       This has to have been the most 'unOklahoma' winter I have seen in a long, long time.  We had snow again today for awhile and then rain and then snow again and now it's raining. The temps are hovering between 32 and 33.
   


  I spent quite a bit of the afternoon absorbed in a book, living in pre-civil war days in Charleston.  The book is The Invention of Wings, by Sue Monk Kidd. This book addresses several issues of the early 1800s: the unbelievable cruelty shown to slaves by their owners, the expectations and severe restrictions placed upon white women in the South, the supreme power of the leaders of the church and the consequences to any who strayed outside the fold, the intolerance of those in the southern states toward the Quakers. Ms. Kidd weaves all of these and more into a seamless narrative which speaks to these things not as unusual at all but rather the accepted and strictly enforced ways of life in the southern states. The story is told from the alternating viewpoints of a young slave girl and the young white woman she serves.
       I know I should keep the curtains closed in the winter to conserve heat but when I do that I feel like I'm trapped inside a semi somewhere on the interstate, eventually become claustrophobic, and rush to the windows to 'tear open the shutters' so to speak. I leave the curtains open most of the time. Today's windless snowfall was so surreptitious in its beginnings that several times I chanced to glance up from the pages of my book and was surprised into smiles by heavy, wet flakes, drifting earthward on the slant. I think I laughed out loud more than once. (I'm easily entertained, as you can see.) You would have thought that such a thing could not have surprised me more than once in an afternoon, but you have been wrong.  Remember, when I am reading I am no longer in the room where I sit, no longer in the present time.
      This is such a strange time in my life. I can not get used to it however hard I try.  Perhaps I will, later, after more time has passed.  There is so much family around and doing, when I am in the City...busy, busy, busy, always someone or several someones to be and do with, and then I come back to the farm and there is not a soul here but me. Well, there are the cats and the chickens and all the wildlife in the space around, but you know what I mean. People. I have much time to read and think and plan but not a note of conversation. It's just....odd..not sad, just different. I did have a great conversation with the Terminex guy this morning. I like him. He's a good man and I don't have bugs and spiders trying to take over the joint anymore, thanks to his efforts.
     I did go to town for awhile today, between the snow and the rain, and bought some seed for filling in bare spots at the cemetery and in Maggie's Wood.  It's a blend of 8 native grasses so it should be perfect.  I also checked out a couple of movies and had the opportunity to listen to the spiel on the girl in the movie rental store. I am always very patient and appreciative to these folks now that I myself have a spiel that I rattle off at the spice shop. I try to maintain good eye contact and ask intelligent questions. She did a great job. I also got a haircut, finally, so I don't look so much like Jeremiah Johnson anymore.
     Early this morning I spent some time perusing the seed catalogues and listening to the little voice in my head reminding me to only plant those things I really like to eat, no matter how wonderful the pictures of everything else look.  I also believe we are now in region 8, not 7 like the map says. It's safer to go into the heat of summer with that mindset...less chance of disastrous disappointment that way.  Actually, I don't order seed anymore but I do enjoy looking at the catalogues. I go to the Plant Patch or TLC  and get plants already up and strong. The lazy gardener's path for me now since I am between places so much.
     There you go. Not a lot to share today but a fairly normal day here on the home place where Blakleys have been stomping around, digging in the dirt, gazing at beautiful snowfall or the blue and glorious sky for the past hundred and twenty years or so. Same song, third or fourth verse. You picked a good spot, George.
     

   

1 comment:

Brenda Cohorn said...

Weather. When it's in season it is something to talk about. (not original but from "The Music Man." I now have another book to add to my "to read" stack. I enjoy Sue Monk Kidd so I am sure I will enjoy reading this book.
More snow scheduled here for Saturday. Do you think we will be fighting these snow flakes in June?