"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Ten On Tuesday: 3/4/14


                           The world is full of beautiful and amazing creatures! Be afraid, little mouse, songbird, rabbit, chicken pecking for seeds. Be very afraid.

1. The heater is on and the pipes did finally thaw this afternoon; all good things. Those were balanced by the fact the the cats successfully ripped another screen off one of the front windows, broke the metal frame and left it lying in a heap on the porch. Those guys are scaring me now. They look so innocent too, strange birds, crazy cats.  I was sitting outside today, wearing a thick hoodie, and one of the cats climbed up my back and sat on the top of my head. That's just weird. Who does that?

2.  I am reading a wonderful book about gardening: Week-by-week vegetable Gardener's Handbook by Ron Kujawski and Jennifer Kujawski. This book is full of very sensible, useful tips for getting ready to put out your garden as well as what to do, when, during the gardening season.  It is broken down into weeks and you align it with the last frost date in your area.  All good advice and nicely organized in a semi-spiral, slick cover, user friendly format. Whether you have been gardening for years or are just getting your hands dirty for the first time, this book will help you keep things moving along and up to date out in the gardens. To everything there is a season.

3.   There are times, not often, when I desperately need the use of a pickup and a small trailer.  What does one do about that?  My mower needs to go see the doctor.  I'm flummoxed.

4.  Did you know that there won't be any new Doctor Who shows until next Fall? Have I mentioned that? I'm a teeny bit miffed about it. (Thanks for the new Doctor Who and the Minions t-shirt, Korenaks. Love it!)

     Whoodledee-toodledee-tideledee O,
     What were they thinking? I don't know.
     Waiting for months, through sun and snow
     To see where the Doctor and Clara will go.

5. I miss River Song.  (Spoilers.)

6. Popcorn and peanuts and candy corn,
    Hark! There's the rooster a'crying the morn,
    The choir's in the treetops,
    the worm's in the ground,
    yonder's the man who sells joy by the pound.

7.  My Abbey (our first born; the love child) is thirty five. Happy Birthday Abbeydoodle!
    How is that possible, her being 35, when I am all of 42....at the outside?
    Time does not move in a straight line, that is as obvious as the nose on your face.
     I am having trouble wrapping my mind around all my kids being in their 30s now.
     When did time begin to fly by at such am amazing speed?
     I must have had my back turned or was not paying attention and
     accidentally hit the 'fast forward' button with my hip. Stop!!!

8.  Let's see....St. Paddy's Day is coming up fairly soon. Yep, if you're thinking of making some corned beef it's time to get crackin'.  Ah, Ireland. I miss the greenness that is Ireland, especially during these bleached, pale days at the end of Winter.  I know, some of you have crocuses and daffodils blooming already, but here on the farm not even the brave little Blooming Quince has dared to open a single pink blossom.  Blah.

9.  Mardi Gras today: Throw me something, Mister!
   
10.  A Yawn and a stretch and a scratch of the head,
       empty the tea-cup it's time for bed.
       Close up the books full of stories you've read,
       kick off those slippers, it's time for bed.

I'm full of cheap rhymes this evening.
Hope tomorrow is a bright, sunny day and that you can get out into the sunshine for a bit.
   
   


   
   
   
     

No comments: