"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Wells Fargo Wagon is a'comin'....




      Every morning when I wake up, a song is playing in my head. It might be something I heard the day before or it might be, and usually is, something from years and years ago. Sometimes it is merely a melodic riff that loops.  I can turn it off, if I want to, or I can change the tune but that first one will keep seeping through any new song I attempt to insert into its spot. 
     This morning's song was The Wells Fargo Wagon, from the musical, The Music Man. I know for a fact it has been years and years since I heard that song, but since my sister and I memorized the entire soundtrack for The Music Man when we were in high school, it's in there pretty darn solidly.  In the movie/story, the Wells Fargo Wagon would come through their town, bringing them things they had ordered from the Montgomery Ward catalogue and it was a big day if it stopped at your door. (My friend Brenda also has the album memorized and I would love to sing through it with her. "Pick a little, talk a little, pick a little, talk a little, cheep, cheep, cheep, talk a lot, pick a little more..." ...I call that one the gossip song.) Okay, so put a pin in that thought and we'll come back to it. There.
      
     I returned home to the farm after dark last night to find a light colored cat on the front porch. My first thought was that someone had dumped him out here in the country, which was probably the case.  It happens. When I got up to the porch and the light came on I saw that he was actually a beautiful yellow tabby and looked very healthy.  He was a little bit nervous and jumpy, which was to be expected. My two cats were having nothing to do with him (her?) but I brought some food out for all of them and tried to get them to make friends. We can all be friends, right? I don't know if that really applies to cats.
     I went to bed and left them to it.
     When I woke up this morning I went out to see if the new cat was still around. So far I have seen no sign of him, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Yet.   BUT, while I was on the porch leaning on the railing, scanning the tree row for yellow cats, with that tune about the Wells Fargo Wagon playing through my head, a truck came rumbling down the road and turned into my driveway. Lo and Behold, it was the Wells Fargo Wagon coming right to my door! Unbelievable!  It was actually the FedEx truck but that is the equivalent of the WFW today. What are the chances? 
      He was bringing me not "some grapefruit from Fresno" as the song says, but a pineapple from Hawaii which is extremely close to being the same thing, don't you think? How fun!  I continue to love this Christmas present Able and Kari gave me, a fruit of the month from Harry and David.  It's the gift that keeps on giving all year round. If you are at a loss for what to gift someone for a birthday or Christmas next year, you might consider that option as something unique and wonderful.   
    I'll let you know what develops with the new cat.  I hope my cats didn't chase her off the place and into the claws of the coyotes but I wouldn't put it past them.     

1 comment:

Brenda Cohorn said...

LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. I call it the gossip song, too!!!