"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Friday, October 10, 2014

Letting Go and Being Still

    

"To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven." Ecclesiastes
This is a lesson I am in the slow process of learning, although it is wisdom from long ago.
   
     The time that I am in the city is full of family doings and working at the spice shop.  My days are start early there and are always very full. By evening my feet hurt and I usually realize I have been so busy I have forgotten to drink anything for most of the day. Not good. I like this kind of busy life because much of it is spent sharing the day with some one or more of my children and theirs.  I love it.
I love being with all of them, watching my children as adults and watching their sweet children as they grow.
      The reason for my time at the farm is supposed to be to rest and reflect. I take care of things here, I read and contemplate, I blog and read the blogs of others, I visit with friends in town and try to spend some time with my Dad, but I find myself restless in the stillness of the 'rest and reflect' time that I spend alone here.  What I am trying to fully accept is that stillness, openness of spirit and mind is the actual (and extremely important) purpose of these days here. It is not laziness, it is necessary spiritual work.
      This is a place of retreat for me now and I have to let myself be willing to rest and to listen during my time here, not just DO things.  If I do not rest and listen to whatever it is that speaks to the depths of me, I will have nothing of value to give to my family when I return to the city.  I am not doing a great job of the stillness/listening part yet, but I'm pressing on. I'll get the hang of it yet.  
     

No comments: