"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

If Not Now, When?

     The poem Renaissance, by Edna St. Vincent Millay begins this way: "All I could see, from where I stood, were three long mountains and a wood." All I can see, from where I stand, is a long straight horizon of green wheat behind tawny fields of winter grass. 
    There is not a sign of a tiger anywhere. 
(I hope he's still running, but I am enjoying a rainy day which holds no agenda…at. all.)   sigh    
                                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
       During the months of November and December the news media has been all over, under, around and through the deaths of three black men at the hands of white policemen. They were in different cities and circumstances varied widely as well. I am not going to speak on any of the three because plenty has been said by people who know much more about the incidents than I do.
      I do want to tell you what I have seen happening in my own days, my own life, as a result of these events. I have heard people of many different ethnicities speaking about the deaths with voices and eyes full of sorrow, and not sorrow only for those who have died. Sorrow that this kind of thing is still happening in this country. I know, it is happening everywhere and always has, but must it always be so?  
      What I want to share with you is this: during these past weeks I have seen people looking into one another's eyes and giving a greeting, reaching out to shake a hand, pat a shoulder, more than I saw it happen before. All of us being actively warm to one another because we all know what has been happening and we want things to change. We want them to be better, and all we can change, as ordinary humans is the way we interact with the person right in front of us, right now, right here. I have felt a difference. I hope it continues, this grassroots movement toward compassion and understanding and standing with our fellow humans, whatever color our skin or eyes or hair. 
       

No comments: