Saturday, April 25, 2015

Gardens and Earth Day





      Two years ago I drove a friend to Dallas, so she could speak at a convention.  At the gathering there was an ongoing silent auction and I ended up winning a shoebox full of tiny Iris starts. I brought them home and this year, finally, they have bloomed: lemon chiffon, small old fashioned white, gold with wine falls. They make me incredibly happy and cause me to send happy thoughts in the direction of the woman who brought them. I don't even know who she is. It doesn't matter.
    Next time I am asked to contribute to a silent auction I will take Iris too.  My people will understand….and bid.

      This year, in our neck of the woods (woods??) we managed to wander nonchalantly through the month of March and skipped the 50 mph winds. My gardens are full of Iris, of all colors, in full bloom and waving gently in the breezes.  They hold the dew in early morning and seduce wild honey bees into their depths. Wow. When I blessed wind eases up for a minute, the Spring mornings and evenings are glorious. If only this were the norm.
     So far we have not fared too badly on the tornado front. We did have on at the end of March, which is a little early. It hit Moore, of course. They almost always it Moore, sadly.  I think the city should turn that area into a huge green space and let the winds roar on through.  I see no sense in rebuilding housing in that area.  I also do not understand why every single school in Moore doesn't have a tornado shelter built into the building. Busing kids out of the way of a tornado is craziness and dragging children's bodies out of the debris is ridiculous.
   

 




These two are not at all impressed with blooming Iris, weather of any kind, or anything that isn't food.  Well, they do love to get their pats on a regular basis.


            Today I traveled to Turtle Rock Farm Retreat Center for their annual Earth Day Celebration. This is my friend Pat (center) visiting with a couple of long time friends.



    I'm not going to lie to you, it was a little toasty unless you were in the shade.  We worked at staying in the shade.
     There was someone there from the Sierra Club, handing out free Loblolly Pine trees, always a good thing. A young woman taught us how to felt wool and also to spin it into yard on a small foot driven spinning wheel.  OKC Transitions had booths on making your own toothpaste and creating beautiful, natural bookmarks from flowers and herbs.
    As you can see in the top picture, we had live music (Irish dancing tunes that had us all tap, tap, tapping our toes and wishing we could dance.) Later, we all joined in a huge drum circle, playing together, listening, adjusting, getting in sync with each other and the drums.
     I demonstrated how to make little tubular nesting houses for wild bees out of paper straws.  So fun!  We will definitely be making some of those at Farm Camp this year. Later we had a ritual of thanksgiving for the earth and sky, full of good words and sweet songs.  I think even the teenage Boy Scouts sang with us. Yay!  
     Lunch was Bison Hot Dogs, cooked over wood fires, and corn on the cob, eaten straight off the grill with butter and salt. Oh my. I am so happy I went this year.

     

No comments: