Thursday, July 16, 2015

The Mouths of Babes

    I want to share a conversation I had with one of my 5 year old grand kids. He and I were driving past a certain neighborhood in town, on our way to his house. I said I liked the houses in that addition and might like to live there. His response was to quickly tell me I couldn't move from the farm, and why.
    His first reason was very logical, coming from a child who has moved several times: "We could never get everything out of your house." He's probably right. That flat truth was followed closely by this startlingly perceptive statement: "No one else wants to live there." (No kidding.) And then came the words that touched my heart: "Who would take care of nature if you moved away, Grandma?" I didn't tell him nature can and does take care of itself.  We drove on in silence for several minutes. Finally he spoke again, "I like to go there…and there's a tree house…and the pond...and your cats. Who would feed the cats?" Another long pause. "You can't move."
     After such a well constructed defense, I told him I agreed and would stay.


    ************************************
     I love having conversations with kids. Their logic unfurls like silk on a breeze. It delights me. Who am I to impose adult logic onto their innocent lines of thought? If they ask me questions I answer them honestly, but I try not to throw roadblocks or unwanted structure in front of their ideas. I might ask them a question now and then, but mostly I like to listen. I like to watch their hands and eyes.


   
   
   
     
   

No comments: