"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Love Thursday: learning

    I spent this afternoon in "school", history class to be exact.  "The Men Who Built America" was showing on the History channel: Vanderbilt, Carnegie, Morgan, Rockefeller. The two night series followed them from their humble beginnings through their rise to dominance in America and on through the dismantling of their monopolies in the first decade of the 1900s.  They were determined men with big visions and were willing to take large calculated risks in order to make them into realities.They amassed tremendous, unbelievable wealth. Yes, their methods were sketchy, many times, and profits were always more important than the lives of the people who worked for them.  They never seemed to have enough, always looking ahead to the next big thing. Morgan ended up lending money to the government more than once, to keep the country going.  They have the dubious distinction of being the first men to 'buy an election'. With steel, railroads, electricity, banking, and oil they hauled America around the corner of the century and into prominence in the industrial world. What a story.
It takes my breath away when I view it from their perspective. It breaks my heart when viewed from the  side of the workers.

     Back to Love Thursday. I love to learn, almost anything, which is why it has always been so difficult for me to decide what I wanted to do with my life. Everything I ever studied was fascinating to me. What I really wanted to do was go to a school where I could focus on one area at a time, so I could immerse myself in one thing after another, fully absorbing all of them. Sadly, that was not the way school worked. I fell into my profession, finally, and ended up loving it, but I could just as easily have done a multitude of other things.  Music and teaching are wonderful and exciting, but they were not my passion.
      What do you think your passion is, or was? What do you think your superpower is? Memory? Math? Organizing? People skills? Dance? New Ideas? Healing? Helping? (Maggie asked me this the other day.) My superpower is reading and love. She said hers was fashion and color. I agreed. A friend once suggested we should ask other people what our superpowers are, because they can often see them more clearly than we can; so, ask.

2 comments:

Brenda Cohorn said...

I would say my super power is prayer and kindness. But I also love to teach the Bible. And I'm certain there are people in my life that would question the "kindness!" I have a yearning in my heart to teach the Bible.

Kathryn said...

The guy at Stonekettle Station has some thoughts on labor during that time period. It was an informative read for me - history classes in school often skip over the bad stuff, or at least some of it.

http://www.stonekettle.com/2015/09/those-good-old-labor-days.html