"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Blessing #6 The Spice Shop

      The spice shop is a great blessing to me for many reasons.  I have met hundreds of new people through the shop, made several good friends, and have the opportunity to visit with strangers every time I work there.  I love talking to people about their lives.  It makes me happy.
      I have also learned a lot of new things about spices and business, which is as interesting as anything else. Spices are tightly woven into the history of the world, believe it or not. Think: explorers sailing the seas in search of new lands and new sea routes to the spice islands. There were fortunes to be made and lost on those voyages, not to mention lives.
      Because of the shop, I get to spend time working with Able. I think we work well together; you would have to ask him if he thinks so too.  He and I have always gotten along well....except for a short time during his teenage years. I think that's fairly common with mothers and sons. I'm happy that he has found his lovely wife Kari, at last.  They are so happy together and he is more settled now.  I feel that he is more completely himself because of her loving him. It's important to have someone who loves you more than anyone else in the world.
   
     
      Working at the spice shop is the perfect job for me right now. I can work as much or as little as I want to.  I am really only scheduled for one whole day, the day we do the order. That is usually a day with just Able and me working. If we're not too busy we have time to visit about what all is happening in the shop so I can keep up with how things are going. I can, and do, drop in on other days as well, when I am in town to visit with the grands or my daughters.  But on those days I don't have to stay there and be on my poor feet for ten hours.  I can work as long as I like and then leave, because I am the extra person and not on the clock. I am never 'on the clock' as such.  Praise God and Alleluia! I am done being on the clock. I don't even wear a watch anymore. A watch? Most days I don't even know what day of the week it is. I LOVE IT.

Oh, P.S. Happy Birthday to my baby brother Jim (and his son Nick). Thanks for letting us camp out at your house for three weeks when we were doing the training for the spice shop. Three weeks is a long time to have two extra people living in your house. I understand that and appreciate your hospitality. You guys are the best.
   

No comments: