Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Last of The Garden

     Very soon now, the first hard freeze will be upon us. Many places have already had their first, and perhaps even their second snow. We are blessed, here on the open plains smack dab in the middle of the U.S., to have wonderfully temperate Autumn weather most years. Week wanders into beautiful week. Cool, misty mornings give way to clear, sky blue days, perfect for picnics in the park. Most trees still have their leaves, even though it is November. The rustle of Cottonwood leaves continues to be my music by which to garden. 


      I went out today and picked some of the second growth dill, as well as the Stevia. These will be tied up to dry. I found the last of the tomatoes and peppers and a little bit of basil and rosemary. I put them to simmer with onions and celery, herbs and garlic and made a sauce for winter soups and stews. There is something bittersweet about the last canning. The last bit of everything tucked nicely into clean jars. 

      If I had a greenhouse of some sort, I could have tomatoes and greens, beets and beans all winter.  There's something to think about, with the summers so bloody hot these days that the vegetables stop producing from July through the middle of September.  Perhaps I'll look into one that is the right size for this place.  

    

No comments: