Thursday, May 26, 2016

Relocation

This is where I was born
and have always lived.
I am safe here
surrounded by friends and relatives,
nothing bad ever happens.

But this day someone comes,
everyone is forced away,
torn from this spot and carted
out of sight. I hide and watch.

Why are they being taken?
All of them are gone.
Stop! I do not move.

My hiding place is discovered
and I too am taken away and
left alone in an empty crate,
alone  through the long hot day.
I am dying. I cannot breathe.

What is happening?
Why is this happening?

And then you come,
lead me out of the sun,
give me water and an apology.
We move into a cool room
and travel together for hours.
I can hear singing.

You leave, but I am safe here.
Darkness, flashes of light
and wind I can hear but not feel.
No one can see me.
My first night alone.
Later, I can see the stars.

In the morning you return
and take me to my new home.
There are others.
We are all strangers here.
Gentle hands give comfort,
support, protection.






No comments: