"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Watermelon/Piccolos



     I'm not saying I'm old because I'm not, but when I was a kid and my grandmas were the age I am now, I thought they were old. That being said, I have never in my life seen an election like this one we're wading through at the moment. This is a fine kettle of fish.., as my mom would say.  We all have our own ideas about what precipitated the logjam in congress that led us to this point. Lots of us don't agree on the reasons or the methods of fixing it. That's okay, Americans have always disagreed with each other on lots of things. If you don't think so, take a little time to read up on the founding fathers and their fighting over what should and should not be included in the Constitution. Wow. Sally bar the door!
    
        I have friends who won't even talk to me because we disagree so completely. Heck, I have family with whom I have made verbal agreements to insure we don't talk about politics because we really like each other but we just don't agree about politics. If you find yourself standing under a hornet's nest with a friend, it would be silly to pick up sticks and start swinging. 
       It's come to this and it worries me: someone read something I put on FB the other day and said,'If I were you, I would stop saying those things or you're gonna get hurt.' WHAAAAAAAT?????  People are screaming about 2nd amendment rights but right here and now I'm raising my own little brown hand for the 1st. When someone tries to make me feel afraid to say I disagree with them, it worries me.  I love this country.

    
      Watermelon. I believe that to be the answer we're looking for. Watermelon, smoked pork butt, a freezer of homemade ice cream and a good old fashioned fireworks show. Let's all stand up side by side and sing The Star Spangled Banner and America The Beautiful and not even breathe any of the names that are plastered across the screens these days. Please, please, please...in the name of everything that's Holy. They are not invited to our parties celebrating our getting England's boot off our necks back in the 1700s.
      
 If anyone starts talking politics, I encourage you to start humming America The Beautiful. If they don't stop talking, belt it out loud. Get the crowd with you. Make them laugh. Sing the piccolo part to the Stars and Stripes, or the trombone part, or two of you sing them both together and let everyone else sing with the trumpets. Someone play the snare cadence on the tabletop with forks. Remember. Who. We. Are.

 
       Allow me this, (you know the tune to America the Beautiful).

"America, America, God mend thine every flaw.
  Confirm, thy soul in self-control, thy liberty in law." 

  
 Maybe we should all carpool down to that strip of highway in New Mexico where the road itself plays that tune, if you drive 55 mph.  (How cool is that!) I'm ready for some patriotic music. I'm turning the channel to Sousa marches.
   
A reminder: if you don't like the rules (laws), do something to get them changed. Our primaries for State House and Senate seats are next week. If you're unhappy or if you're happy with who sits in those chambers: GO VOTE YOUR CONSCIENCE. That's the way we change things here. Primaries are important.
 


     

1 comment:

Brenda Cohorn said...

Part of what I love about you is that we can disagree and still love each other!!