Saturday, August 13, 2016

The News (updated)

     This day was wonderful. The temperatures dropped ten degrees and stayed there, supported by a cool breeze out of the north. This morning I was able to do a lot of work in the yard that I had been putting off because it has been too blasted hot.  I picked up all the piles of pulled/dead weeds that have been tucked into corners here and there. I loaded up and hauled to the creek bank the rest of the cedar limbs, and then mowed that space. Now all we have left is the trunk of the big cedar. It doesn't bother me.
    AND, here is the biggie, I found the butcher knife and hand dug the little clumps of (wait for it, wait for it, wait...) SAND BURRS that had sprung up in the east yard. (I know, when I noticed them I nearly fell to my knees and went into a primeval scream.) They are gone now but I will have to watch that spot like a hawk because you know they will be back, with a vengeance.  When I spotted them I had a quick, clear image of my dear sainted mom, at the lake, bent over a yard full of the nasty little dears, digging and digging and digging. NOT. ON. MY. WATCH.  Not anywhere close to this yard or Maggie's Wood. Not today. ("God help and forgive me, I want to make something that's gonna outlive me." LLM)
    Speaking of which, I sometimes have flashes of what this beautiful garden spot will look like someday when I am gone and no one is taking care of it any longer.  It will become a wild and unruly jungle.  It is prone to jungleosis even now, unless I keep a firm hand on the clippers. It's that damned Wisteria I gush about all the time; a monster I tell you. I swear I can hear it chuckling when I am cutting back the runners throughout the gardens. We both know who will win in the end.
     Today and yesterday the chickens gave me three sweet little brown eggs.  The fountain pump needs cleaning; a messy job I have been putting off. Oh, I also finally twisted myself into the cabinet beside the stove and reworked the slides for the silverware drawer. They had broken their brackets back in....oh, May or maybe April. I can't remember. It's been too long, I know, but it's painful to contort myself around in there and then screw in a few screws. I managed it today, but it was exactly as I had imagined it would be. Ouch. Checking things off the list.
      There are a pair of doves nesting in the vine above the arch on the sidewalk.  I was surprised to learn how flimsy their little nest is. It hardly looks like nest at all.  I have gated the trellis arch closed, so as not to disturb them.  Surely this is her second brood of little ones, it being so late in the season.  I hope they make it.
     Now and then I go up to Enid and meet Dad after his treatments. It's been nice, spending time in town with him. Yesterday we had ice cream. Yay.
    I have been trying to watch the Pleiades Meteor Shower for the past two nights. So far it has been a bust, only two or three little ones.  The moon is very bright and I'm too tired to to stay up late enough for the best viewing. It works best when the moon is on the other side of the planet (as you would expect). Oh well. I may try again tonight. Sleep is nice.

P.S. After watching the relays by the men AND the women of the United States swim team, I headed out to shut the chicken house door. On the way, while admiring the beauty of the clouds in the moonlight, I managed to trip on a rock (who put that there?) and falling ass over teacup into the herb bed. It would have been no big deal except for that bracket on which I hang the little artsy garden flags. I managed to catch that one under my jaw, knocked a tooth loose and have a great bruise now. The tooth is not out, just a little loose. It will be fine. Oh, the chickens were fine too. What a beautiful night!
       

No comments: