"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

The Little Paris Bookshop (exerpts)

  I read "The Little Paris Bookshop" a month or so ago and loved it. I want to share a few quotes from the book with all of you. Here, the main character is explaining why he named his floating bookshop the "Literary Apothecary". I love these images.

" I wanted to treat feelings that are not recognized as afflictions and are never diagnosed by doctors.  All those little feelings and emotions no therapist is interested in, because they are apparently too minor and intangible.  The feeling that washes over you when another summer nears its end.  Or when you recognize that you haven't got your whole life left to find out where you belong.  Or the slight sense of grief when a friendship doesn't develop as you thought, and you have to continue your search for a lifelong companion.  Or those birthday morning blues.  Nostalgia for the air of your childhood.  Things like that."

   And a page later: " Perdu reflected that it was a common misconception that booksellers looked after books.  
      They look after people."

Later in the book another character speaks:

    "I became myself when my son died because grief showed me what's important in life.  That's what grief does. In the beginning it's always there. You wake up and it's there.  It's with you all day, everywhere you go.  It's with you in the evening; it won't leave you alone at night.  It grabs you by the throat and shakes you. But it keeps you warm.  One day it might go, but not forever.  It drops by from time to time.  And then, eventually...all of a sudden I knew what was important --grief showed me.  Love is important.  Good food.  And standing tall and not saying yes when you should say no."

1 comment:

Brenda Cohorn said...

Didn't you just love that book!!! It was one of my favorites!!