"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Monday, November 21, 2016

Poem: Stronger Now

Time and love bring healing; the work both
agonizingly slow and marvelously thorough
as people move through the lines of our lives
like contra-dancers, walking and weaving,
touching hands, turning round, stepping through.

Someone came by and offered me a cup of courage.
I am finally able to ease open some of memory's
locked doors, lifting sweet treasures into the light;
something which I could not face, in those first
agonizing months, and in the years that followed.

                          ~ ~

I remember, at the end of days spent apart,
being happy to simply share the same space;
few words, a glance and a smile, my hand
resting on his thigh, his thumb in a slow
gentle caress of that hand. A perfect peace.
 

 I remember him curled behind me in the darkness;
strong brown arm drawing me close, the warmth
of him against my back and legs, his breath
upon my neck, our hearts sharing the same beats.
It was the safest place I'll ever know.

                            ~ ~ ~ ~


A strong north wind blows out of a bright
sky today, sweeping dry leaves before it.

                        





                       







No comments: