Monday, November 28, 2016

Some of My Favorites

Every once in a while I like to post some of my favorite pictures, not necessarily from this year, pictures that speak to my heart with beauty and more. Here we go.






2. This was in 2012. My grandkids and I were taking a nature walk through my gardens, looking for living creatures and discovering beauty.

"The kiss of the sun for pardon,
the song of the birds for mirth;
one is nearer God's heart in a garden
than anywhere else on earth."

                           -Dorothy Frances Gurney







2. This was taken in Glendalough, in Wicklow County, Ireland. This entire area felt holy to me and I spent most of each day out on the grounds somewhere, 'being' with the earth. I know there are many, many beautiful places on the planet I have yet to see, and probably never will. But this place calls to my heart, fills me with joy and brings me to tears.












"I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree, 
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made: 
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee; 
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

 And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow, 
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings; 
There midnight’s all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow, 
And evening full of the linnet’s wings...."
                                               
                                           _W.B. Yeats



3.


This woman is washing her daughter's hair in a lake.
Look how the child clings to the mother, by arms and legs, with her eyes closed, knowing she is perfectly safe.





4.

 I've posted this one before BECAUSE I LOVE IT.
This is Abbey and her son, Brendan, when he was still a little boy. It was taken after Abbey's cousin Rachael's wedding. Yes, it was in December and the lights were lit. That's B's Uncle Able's hat (you knew that I'm sure). I love the way Abbey is looking at him and the look on his sweet face.  This is the look on every mother's face when she looks at her son. She is seeing the man she loves in the face of the boy she loves.

"Love is not emotion, it is conviction,
it is strength of purpose and will,
it is the threads of life woven tightly
together and dyed in the colors of blood,
bright and dark together,
an unbreakable weave..."
 
~Deb Dotter Blakley, A Mother's Love


5.   This picture brings me calmness. It's several things: the gradations of color in the different layers of pink petals, the sharp texture of the inner golden circle, the illusion of floating on the water, when it is actually tethered to the roots in the mud, The light on the lily leaf, the angles of the brown stems beneath the water's surface.  It's this world and the next. Nature is steeped in metaphor.



“Still, what I want in my life
is to be willing
to be dazzled—
to cast aside the weight of facts

and maybe even
to float a little
above this difficult world.

     ~Mary Oliver


6.   Here we are in the woods along the creek, E and I.  He wouldn't hold my hand, or allow me to hold his, but he did, very much, want to hold onto my little pinkie finger. *sigh*

 

"Ordinarily, I go to the woods alone, with not a single friend, for they are all smilers and talkers and therefore
unsuitable.

I don’t really want to be witnessed talking to the catbirds or hugging the old black oak tree. I have my way of praying, as you no doubt have yours.

Besides, when I am alone I can become invisible. I can sit on the top of a dune as motionless as an uprise of weeds, until the foxes run by unconcerned. I can hear the almost
unhearable sound of the roses singing.

If you have ever gone to the woods with me, I must love you very much.” 

Mary Oliver, Swan: Poems and Prose Poems

No comments: