"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." ~Maya Angelou

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

An Ordinary Day

Yesterday I gave my daughter time to rest and heal
by taking her children away for the afternoon--

 Yesterday two little boys with bloody, tear-stained faces
came to me for hugs and kisses to 'make it better'-

This evening my 7yo granddaughter and I
shared bedtime talk about friends who are
mean, and what to do about it-

Tonight I looked into the tear-swollen eyes
of my other grown daughter and felt that mother
reflex twist in my heart again...the one
that makes you want to hold them close--

This afternoon I visited with Able and Kari
while baby Alice snuggled under my chin--

Tonight I counseled a former student about
the importance of taking the meds for her depression--

This evening I helped the Pre-K child write
names on his valentines for school--

Tonight I told my granddaughter about
how kind and patient her grandpa had been--

This evening you comforted me with your
words while I stammered and wept.

We're all taking care of each other
all day, every day, with our words and our
actions and the love we send forth from
our hearts into the ether that surrounds.

We need each other so desperately;
we can not muddle through this mess alone,
without someone to hold us, to love us
into a better place, into a safer space.



 



No comments: