Friday, April 14, 2017

Observations

While looking through some things from my recent trip to Hawaii, I happened upon a few writings from those days on the islands. If you don't mind my taking your time, I will share some of them with you.
   

Treasures Wrapped In Time

Out for my morning walk, with a book tucked under my arm, I pass by an old man sitting alone on a park bench; his eyes are closed, his face lifted to the warmth of morning sun. He sits perfectly still, looking like a wood carving dressed in loose clothes. 
   His neck and shoulders are thinned with age and he has a slight hunch, but I recognize the breadth of back as from a man who has done physical work for many years.  His forearms are still strongly muscled and ridged with veins; his hands, think and scarred, rest upon his legs and bear no rings.    
     I am entranced by this silent stranger and, in my mind, I turn back the years from his frame, gifting him, in my imagination, with the beauty and strength of a young man. Caught up in this exercise, I have allowed myself to stand and openly gaze, thinking he was asleep, when suddenly he chuckles, softly, and my eyes fly to his, embarrassed to have been caught staring.
     I find that his eyes are a lovely sea green and full of laughter.  Meeting my gaze with a slow smile that shifts all the lines on his dark face, he asks if I need some help.  I shake my head and, walking to the bench, I set down my book and lean in with my request: Please, sir,....would you tell me a true story?  His smile broadens and he takes a deep breath,--
Where to begin?







     

No comments: