Sunday, July 23, 2017

Poem: Hidden Beauty

In an old trunk, beneath my grandmother's tattered shawl,

I discovered another, of silk, cool as water in my hands,
dyed with the colors of the sea on a sunny afternoon,
and the sky at sunset, when fire rides the waves.

It bore a long fringe which shimmered and sang with
notes of silver and blue, like the evening star.
I had never seen it before, although I know the other:
brown and roughly woven with stories of work and want.

Why had this lovely garment been hidden away,
secreted safely out of sight for so long?
Why would one wear the dark plainness daily
and fold into forgetfulness such magnificence?

In her old shawl there dwells bitterness and sorrow,
but in this exquisite silken wrap there lives great light
which strengthens my heart, hints of happy mystery,
and brightens my spirit with shining beauty.

No comments: