Sunday, August 13, 2017

The Meteor Showers of August

I wrote this poem several years ago and feel it deserves revisiting during these peak nights of the Perseid Meteor Showers. Sadly, last night was completely overcast here at the farm until seven in the morning, which was too late, the sun already brightening the eastern sky.  Perhaps tonight will prove better conditions to "catch a falling star", as the old song goes.

August Traditions

Come, my friend,
away from the clatter and clutter of life.
Come join me in the quiet of a summer night
with a white smile of moon sailing above.

Bring nothing but yourself;
leave behind all that weighs upon you.
Take my hand as we climb the high hill
through weary, rustling grass, breathing
the dusty scent of Summer's final days.

On the open hilltop, below a starry sky,
we will lie down upon my tattered quilt
and watch the lights arc and fall across
the infinite darkness which surrounds.

There is nowhere I would rather be
than under those stars,
in the warm August air,
with you.

No comments: